Tuesday, June 5, 2012


I had a thought-provoking conversation with a good friend recently about dual citizenship.

Him:  What a strange notion, having two citizenships.  How can you have allegiance to two (or even more) countries?   What if they are countries in conflict with each other, each making demands on you, such as mandatory military service or civic service?

Me:  I get your point, but I think the majority of people with dual citizenship are born into it; they don't acquire it.   I know people with dual citizenship who are thoroughly bi-cultural and bilingual:  they've lived in both countries, have a parent from each country; speak both languages.  This is who they are.   What can you do about that?

Him:  True . . . You've had more experience with that than I have.   It's complicated:  There are people with only US citizenship, for example, who have never lived in this country.   Are they as American as someone who immigrated here and became a citizen?  (And by the way, the requirement that you have to be born in the US to become president is archaic . . .)

Me:  Yes, it's complicated.    Are you saying that countries shouldn't allow dual citizenship?

Him:   Well . . .

I don't have any answers.   I'm not sure there are answers, but it's a fascinating topic in this world where people are more mobile than ever.    What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment