Monday, October 15, 2012

Teenage passions

I'm a college counselor at an international school.   My students apply to colleges/universities in the US, Canada, and UK.   If you've attended any admissions information sessions or applied to college in the US in the last 10 - 15 years, you've probably been urged to tell colleges about your "passions."   For colleges with a selective admission process--that is, who require more than rigorous classes/high grades/strong test scores--they distinguish between students based on what makes them interesting.   Interesting in the context of their particular campus, to be sure--but increasingly, it's the student with a "passion" for an instrument or a cause or a subject (multiply that times 10 for a sport) who is "interesting," rather than the classic "well-rounded" applicant.

When I first started working as a college counselor almost 10 years ago, I may have used those words:  "Tell them about your passion."  Eventually I stopped doing that because it began to sound trite, to ring hollow.  To me, it assumes that everyone who's seventeen or eighteen is passionate about something, and that if you're not, then you're not okay.  It even sounds like that to me, 30 years older than my students.   I did have a passion when I was a senior in high school--music, specifically playing violin and flute--but  even though I applied to a couple of music schools, I don't think I ever said "I'm passionate about playing violin"  to anyone.   I said I wanted to be concertmaster in a major orchestra someday, which was much more recklessly ambitious, but I don't think I would have ever called playing violin or flute or singing in ensembles a passion.

I suppose that concept, as a catchphrase for college-admission cachet, is relatively new, developing as more students apply to college and more students apply to more of the same selective colleges.

In the last four years--since I've worked at a school that teaches the French national education system--I've noticed more keenly a blank stare or a whisper of fright across a student's face when an application, or a university rep, has asked a student to describe a passion.  I'm not sure it's a concept that is contemplated as much in other cultures as it is in US culture.   We toss around the word "passion"  freely here in the US, without embarrassment (not a love-of-another person passion, but a consuming drive for an activity or subject), as if we should feel free to go around telling people we have a passion for reading Faulkner or rowing or blogging about sports.   If it's truly a passion, shouldn't it be obvious to others?  Do we have to name it?

Well, of course we have to name it when its importance is implied, or directly asked about, on a college application.   I find that many of my students have a difficult time naming a passion, and I'm on their side where that's concerned.  Their school day is consumed with classes from 8:30 - 5:30 on many days, working toward huge end-of-2-year exams whose results can determine a lot of your life.   This is the case in many, if not most, other countries.  

I put this out there to wonder if I'm right, whether the concept of having a "passion"  for something is a particularly American one . . . or if even naming something as a passion is a very American thing to do.  I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. I can't comment on whether or not we in America are more "consumed" by the concept of passion than in other countries, but we do like to label things. And we do like to believe in drive and conviction as very American qualities.

    When I think of people with passions, I think of innovators like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. And here is the rub... like Gates and Jobs, the people I remember having the most passion (for innovation) are people who dropped out of college because they found the degree path a constricting and an unwelcome interruption to their single-minded pursuit of a dream. Of course, the majority of "creators" probably come from college programs, but I wonder if they had "passions" like Gates and Jobs displayed before they went to college.

    But passion also has an obsolete meaning: suffering. And, perhaps, closely related is the feeling of being moved by things (feelings) beyond one's control. I think that asking high school students to produce passions for display to better their chances at admissions feeds into that feeling of suffering at the hands of things totally beyond their control. Will they have experienced enough in life to have found things to feel passionate about? Are they failures if they don't have a passion before they have tried enough things?

    This seems the purpose of going to college on its head: Isn't (or wasn't) finding your passions part of the reason for attending institutions higher education? Are students not good enough if they haven't developed passions by age 15?

    It seems a bit lazy on admissions departments' account to ask for a student to identify their passion instead of leaving it open-ended for prospects to describe what makes them interesting and worthy of consideration.

    But why not just ask Mr. Gates to apply for admission instead?

    ReplyDelete